Appropriate waterproofing is instrumental in the structural longevity of any build. Poor workmanship or poorly suited materials can be catastrophic, especially in basements or weather-exposed projects. PUDLO’s waterproofing experts are just that, experts. Their knowledge base and technical skill ensures safety and compliance in line with national standards.
What they know:
Waterproofing experts have a specialist skillset that complies with the National Housebuilding Standard.
Under the Property Care Association’s guidance, our PUDLO waterproofing experts study for the highly-regarded CSSW Qualification – Certificated Surveyor in Structural Waterproofing. This in-depth professional qualification is essential for those involved in the diagnosis of problems with water entering structures below ground level and those who recommend design solutions.
Many of our waterproofing experts are also equipped with prior experience in construction, architecture, design and engineering – meaning that there really is no one else better suited to the role.
What they do:
From the initial concept, to the final finish – waterproofing experts are integral:
- They provide design support to architects and planners, coming up with solutions and effective designs to combat common water issues.
- They attend site visits to help with compliance and advising on the best way to utilise PUDLO products.
- They produce detailed design documents and materials – often using CAD software.
- They advise and teach the correct specification of PUDLO products and best-practise when it comes to installation.
What they bring to the team:
- By having a detailed knowledge of BS 8102:2009, waterproofing experts can recommend procedures at every stage of the design process.
- With so many moving parts in a construction project, the waterproofing expert plays an integral communication role – between architects, contractors, trades and design teams, ensuring that everyone is singing-from-the-same-song-sheet.
- They take a weight off the shoulders of the architects and design team. By engaging an expert in the initial stages of the build, architects and designers don’t need to handle retrofit headaches when it comes to appropriate waterproofing. Before designs are drawn up, potential issues can be highlighted and addressed without sacrificing on design or aesthetic.
When to call in a waterproofing expert:
For many above-ground projects, there may not be a need for waterproofing outside the traditional processes. However, there are certain markers that will dictate whether a more detailed analysis is needed.
- Graded basements – there are 3 grades of basement. The Property Care Association defines these as: “Examples of a grade 1 environment include a car park and plant room without electrical equipment, where it’s considered tolerable to have some seepage and damp areas appropriate to the intended use. No water penetration is acceptable for a grade 2 environment, however damp areas that are tolerable and ventilation might be required. No water penetration is acceptable again for grade 3, and this performance level also specifies ventilation, dehumidification or air conditioning as necessary appropriate to the intended use.” If you are unsure about the grading system, or know you require optimum waterproofing, it’s best to seek sound advice.
- Groundworks – The type of soil and the water table are both things that need to be considered when developing a project. By engaging an expert at this early stage, you may save yourself a serious headache later on in the build.
- Workmanship – If you’re using waterproofing products and haven’t done so before, a waterproofing expert can detail the correct installation so that you’re confident with fitting them in the future.
- Types of waterproofing – In line with industry and national standards, there are different levels of waterproofing required for different projects. If you’re unsure whether you require Type A, B or C – you know what to do.
- British Standards – Building standards and regulations are a headache for even the most seasoned builders, groundworkers and contractors. The easiest way to ensure that you’re compliant is to rely on someone else’s expertise. That’s where we come in.
In the case of waterproofing, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Our friendly and helpful team is on hand to assist with PUDLO products wherever you are, so get in touch today.